I have learned to enjoy my trips to Goodwill. Not only does it de-clutter our house, I can always count on a little fun with the workers. Let's be honest. A majority of the stuff that is taken to Goodwill/Salvation Army/D.I. is stuff that would be in the blue or brown bin in front of the house on Thursday morning if the blue or brown bins weren't already full. The games usually begin as I pull up and they look over the contents in the back of my truck. The worker goes into quality control mode and tells me what they will and won't accept. In the past I have found out that they don't accept computers, car seats, shoes, large furniture and pretty much anything that you would think to give to Goodwill. My last trip to Goodwill, I learned that they don't accept cribs, car seats and strollers because they may be unsafe. I always find it humorous that these safety items are now unsafe. When we were kids, our moms were able to drive with their hands in the 10 and 2 position, have a kid latched on all while maneuvering the station wagon down the road. So here are some tips to unload illegal contraband at Goodwill. When they look in the bag of clothes, they tell me that they don't accept shoes. (Of course I know that, hence the shoes buried in the bottom of the bag).
I give them a couple of bags to unload and while they are organizing them in the trailer, I have unloaded a car seat by the back wheel of my truck. By the time they have unloaded the other boxes, the crib, car seat and other illegal Goodwill items have been dropped in various areas of their other trailer. Asking for a receipt will usually buy some more valuable time to clean things out. The best is when they realize that illegal donations have been donated. I mysteriously am unable to hear them or I must take that urgent phone call as I hop back in the car and drive away. It may not be skydiving but it sure is a rush!
I give them a couple of bags to unload and while they are organizing them in the trailer, I have unloaded a car seat by the back wheel of my truck. By the time they have unloaded the other boxes, the crib, car seat and other illegal Goodwill items have been dropped in various areas of their other trailer. Asking for a receipt will usually buy some more valuable time to clean things out. The best is when they realize that illegal donations have been donated. I mysteriously am unable to hear them or I must take that urgent phone call as I hop back in the car and drive away. It may not be skydiving but it sure is a rush!


7 comments:
Awesome photo of the workers! Did they sign a consent waiver? Did you make them pose? You can be so persuasive.
WOW, Rachel that is to be admired. That's like the opposite of dumpster diving- see what you can leave instead of what you can get while no one is looking!
My favorite is talking to Rob on the phone while he is making a delivery and having him not quite seal the box in the back of the truck all the way. Whoops. Lost a sweatshirt.
Sorry Paige, I can't take the credit! Rob is the thrill-seeking hoodlum that EVERY Goodwill worker loves to hate. He Blogged this last night.
In our Seattle house, the Goodwill was pratically across the street from my neighborhood, so I learned quickly how to leave stuff at the door. They caught on and started putting signs up that said, "Don't leave stuff at door", so then I started the same technique that Rob described where you just put stuff in bags and the contraband stuff goes at the bottom of a pile of clothes. Good job!!
While Rachel is funny and cute, I KNEW this was Rob. Funny. Why don't you call me whilst driving to the GW? You're off of calling probation now.
Are we the Nor-Cal version of Goodwill? I think I found some old ratty bows and leggings of Maddie's (size 5) stuck to the bottom of the treadmill that doesnt' have a key...
Post a Comment