Wednesday, October 24, 2007

San Diego Fire Update!

Thank you to all the phone calls, emails and comments of concern! They lifted the Mandatory Evacuation Notice. We were able to go home. Coming home has been surreal. Our neighborhood is a "Ghost Town", everyone has left up north to go hotels or to stay with friends or family. All of San Diego County School Districts closed down schools till next Wednesday. The kids are safe and sound at Grandma and Grandpa Melendez's house. My sister Michele and Chad took the kids with them to the O.C. for some fun and some clean breathable air. Knowing that they are okay and away from here gives us peace of mind. It was very hard for R.J. to leave. Through his tears he said he wanted to help and he did not think it was a good idea for our family to be separated in an emergency. It was hard to say goodbye but, the mention of Disneyland did the trick! Rob and I are able to help at the Shelter, which is now housing 150 National Guards. It was pretty cool to see all these Military Men carrying guns around and driving huge Hummers into the church parking lot. We have offered our home to families who may need a safe haven in this tragedy. The sky is still hazy and full of smoke. The fires near our house are only 5% contained but, We no longer see the flames or fire trucks behind the ridge of our house. The 5 freeway was closed in both directions because of the fire at Camp Pendleton! Over 500,000 people have been evacuated from their homes. We are still on alert to evacuate at a moments notice. I am just grateful to be home in our house and feel blessed to not have been effected by the fires. We feel since we have no children that need us at home, we can help others who have been less fortunate. Yesterday at the Stake Center Shelter, we unloaded an 18 wheeler from the "LDS Humanitarian Aid Center" filled with Food, Cots, Blankets and other various emergency supplies. The Relief Society room is now the Donation Room. So many local restaurants have been donating food as well. I'm so sick of pizza. The "Chick-fil-A" was a good change. Rob wants to make sure he is the one to pick up the "Chipotle" donation for the troops, I am sure he'll get a burrito out of it!

9 comments:

Paige said...

Thanks Rachel. Very good update. We appreciate it.

Celia Fae said...

Maybe this post will get picked up by the church news and you could be famous.

I think I will send it to them right now.

If my town catches on fire I want to go to Disneyland too.

Ashley Clark said...

You guys are awesome.

weeze or Alissa said...

Wow, you guys are troopers! Way to go. Glad you all are safe.
I'll post comments more often now that i have the thing figured out.

take care

cousin alissa

Ellie said...

Could you please post some pictures of firetrucks for my son? Thanks.

Hazen5 said...

I am right on it Ellie, can you believe with all the fires I don't have one picture of an Engine!

Unknown said...

Hey - I'm so glad that you guys are making lemonade out of lemons!

But i wanted to respond to your post about blinds - seriously check out my online source - selectblinds.com. I had custom faux wood blinds (free shipping) and I replaced about 9 blinds in my house (some very large) and it was around $380! I'm not kidding. I used this source in my last house as well and I have ordered several batches of blinds. Never have I had a problem.

Hazen5 said...

I will check it out tonight. Thanks for doing all the research for me!

Unknown said...

Oingo Boingo was one of my favs growing up so Thank YOu for that music trip down memory lane.

So we need some updates. I know you're busy and all with the evac, but I still think you could update us.