skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Rob and I were asked by our stake youth leaders to be a "Ma & Pa" on the Trek they had for this years Youth Conference. We were so honored, excited and very
nervous. We have heard of these before but, have never participated in one as a youth. So, we got our Pioneer clothes together and got ready to rough it. We were assigned to be parents of 5 boys, 3 girls and a 10 pound sack of flour that was our baby girl. We were
to treat this "sack of flour" just like a real baby. We needed to really take care of this baby, we weren't allowed to put the baby down. Someone always needed to be holding it. We took this task seriously, I brought baby clot
hes and a straw hat for the baby and got a face from a doll making kit. I had the kids dress her and the kids decided to call her Lila. The kids took turns feeding her a bottle and sleeping with her and keeping her warm. I must admit we had the best family. The kids were amazing, they worked so hard, never stopped and never complained! The trek took place at Riley's Farm about 2 hours away fro
m where we live. This outfit took care of everything! They cooked, provided the carts, planned the re-enactments from Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery and Porter Rockwell, who were true to character and looked and dressed just like them. The trek itself was hard! But,
honestly I really did not mind. We had such a great time pushing and pulling and helping each other on the trail that you forgot how hot, sticky, dirty, smelly and tired you were. We traveled 10 miles the first day and made camp. One of my favorite parts
of the trek was family time. This is when we all split up into our families and had devotionals. The kids were able to share the Pioneer they chose to represent. They shared their pioneer's story and their own testimony. My sister
Michele and I chose our Mom as our pioneer. She became the first member of the church in our family. The next day we traveled about 5 miles and spent time at a rest stop that had round-robin stations where the kids could experience how the Pioneers lived. They chopped wood, Shot muskets and bows and arrows. They made shingles for houses out of wood, they even got to ride horses.
That morning I informed the kids that their "Baby Sister" was not feeling well and refusing to eat and they they needed to take extra good care of her today. After
all the activities we gathered our family and told them that baby Lila had died. We had a funeral for her and talked about the Plan of Happiness and the Resurrection. It was truly a touching moment to see these kids get emotional, they were grasping the concept of this trek. They we coming to understand
and feel how their ancestors felt. I talked about how the pioneers might have felt when they lost a brother, sister, parent or loved one. They just had to leave them there without a proper casket or burial and most of the
time in an unmarked grave, knowing they would probably never be able to go back to the spot where their loved one was laid to rest. Then the kids each took a turn digging the grave and we placed our sweet flour baby in it. Later that night after making camp we played games. We learned of all the fun things the pioneers did to make their trek more pleasant. We played the Stick Pull,
Tug of War, Water games, Stick ball, and other activities. We even had a Hoe-Down with a live band and a Square dance Caller. We all had a blast. The next day was our last day on the trek. That morning all the men and boys
were sworn into the Battalion and left to fight. That meant the girls were left on their own to take care of themselves. While the boys went off they were taught marching drills and fought in a mock battle with riffles. The girls participated in activities that the pioneer women
did when they were crossing the plains. We made butter and corn- husk dolls, we learned to embroider, make candles and write calligraphy with a quill and ink! Then it was time for the girls and women to carry on in
the trek all by themselves. We had to push and pull the carts and rely on each other. Two of my "daughters" were sick and not very strong and couldn't push the way they would have wanted. My third daughter was a little nervous about us two being the only ones really pushing. So, my sister Michele told us she would be right by my side pushing the whole way with us. I am so glad we got to experience this together.
We hung in there. It was good to be with the boys at first to learn how to manage the cart and know when to pivot the cart to go down hill. But, we did miss them. Especially
when we came to our last big hill. When the first cart was about to go around the bend to the hill, we decided they should get a running start and get momentum. Just as they started running, we could hear cheering and clapping...it was the boys!!! They were instructed that they could not help us but only, encourage us.
They wanted the women to feel how their ancestors really felt being on their own. The cheering was just what we need to get up that hill. As I ran my hardest pushing the front of the cart I tried to find Rob's face in the crowd but, I couldn't find it. All I
heard was his voice yelling my name and cheering me on. I had so much Adrenalin pumping and my heart was so full of pride. We did it. Even my sick daughters pushed beyond their limits, we never gave up. All the girls and women pushed 13 carts
up that hill. And we all did it together. It didn't matter whose family you were in, everyone helped each other. I know that's how it was for the pioneer women as well! There were a lot of tears shed at the top of that hill. That was the hi-light
of the trek. After we walked back to where we started and had a testimony meeting. I loved hearing all these great kids share their experiences and how the spirit had touched them. I too did not go away feeling changed in some way. I'm so grateful to have been
given this opportunity for a very short time to "walk in the shoes" of our ancestors. I have such an appreciation for their testimony of the gospel. They went through so much for their beliefs. They never doubted it was true. And it was proven to me time and time again on this trek.
18 comments:
That was really touching. I'm just a bawlin'. Good grief!
I'm glad that it was such a special experience.
And btw you make one hot pioneer woman. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to post pictures of me ala pioneer. (Though I did post those terrible pics of me when I was sick. so....)
P.S. Have fun with the Groseclose bunch when they come!!!! I'm jealous!
That is so neat. I have feared getting that call to participate...but I know it would be an amazing experience.
What's with the flip-flops Ma???
I'm just jealous I didn't get to go. You look beautiful as a pioneer.
Did Rob REALLY use the "big plate" I sent him.
Send the pics of Hailey over :)
Those clothes just look WAY too hot. How could anyone feel the Spirit with all that fabric going on??
What a great experience for our youth!
How awesome! I've always wanted to do this but I've never been in a ward that has done it! Crazy! Sounds like a fabulous experience though :)
What a wonderful experience! Now I have to figure out how I can get picked!
You looked good. What a saint to agree to that. I would never, never agree to that! Can you hike in a bikini? I'd get sent home.
i did this for our youth conference i think my junior year of high school. It was such a good experience for me too. made me a little more humble!! They did the same things when the boys got called away and the girls had to do the hill by oursleves, i thought i was going to die but when we made it, it was the best feeling ever. Just a little taste of the pioneer life!!
i can't wait to see you this weekend!
Thank heavens for bloomers. I think we had a little too much fun. I loved sharing the experience with you!
I don't think pioneers had sunglasses or flip flops...?!? I got to do this as a youth and it was amazing! We even got to catch a turkey, pluck it, cook it and eat it. Glad you had a good time. I miss you!
Amy, I miss you too! I am just glad I did not have to pluck a turkey. And for the flip-flops, My feet were killing me at the end of the day!
Allison, Rob tried to get them to fill up his "Big" plate with Peach Cobbler, thanks for letting us use it!
This is the best post with the best pictures I've ever seen. Thanks so much for the time and effort that went into documenting this special event in your life. I felt like I was there experiencing it with you!
You and Rob had to be the best parents there. I love how you took care of and nutured your baby!! I wonder how many babies (sacks of flour) have been buried. How poignant for all of the kids to experience something so moving and heart wrenching. I'm sure the kids and all involved went away with a much deeper and committed testimony!
I look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Looks like you had a neat time!
My oldest Dallin said that the TREK was the best church thing he has ever done. He'll remember it forever!
I think they picked the perfect parents for that sack of flour baby! I honestly don't know if I could have buried that sack of flour...I'm sure you touched all those kids with your speaking and mothering abilities! It sounds like it was truly a special experience. And... miss you! Haven't seen you in like a month!
Okay, that made me cry :) Thank you for sharing all of it.
I love that you took such good care of Lila and gave her a face and clothing...It must have made it hit home all the harder that she died.
We got to be, "Tribe Leaders" for a Book of Mormon Youth Conference when we lived in Virginia and it was one of the most wonderful experiences I have ever had. I think I want to volunteer for the Trek that is coming up in December. (Isn't it weird that they are doing it in December, here?"
You are the hottest pioneer woman I ever did see!
Post a Comment