A couple of months ago I received a text from Rob stating, "Our ward is finally getting OUR OWN missionaries! Can they live with us? Please, Please, Please? Remember where you are, and you are filled with the Spirit!!!!" I got this text when I was at Women's Conference in Utah, while listening to our beloved Prophet, Thomas S. Monson speak! How was I supposed to reply? He sounded like an excited little kid asking if he could bring home a puppy. After speaking to him on the phone Rob explained that in order for our ward to have our own Elders they would have to live in member's homes so the monthly cost of supporting missionaries would not be increased. After returning home from Women's Conference I had only one day to prepare the
guest room and clean out the closet for our new house guests. To say the least I was feeling a little overwhelmed and apprehensive. I didn't know what to expect. He said our home was only temporary till they found a permanent home, they would be in our house for only 3 weeks. Well, as you can tell it's been almost 3 months! And I can honestly say, I am so happy and feel so blessed that these sweet Elders are here in our home. Elder Gordon is from Mendon, Utah and has been serving for 18 months. Elder Gulbranson is from British Columbia, Canada, this is his first assignment. They both are tender to our kids, helpful, kind, cheerful, hard working, spiritual boys. What an example for R.J. to see everyday as he prepares to one day serve a mission. It's been so great to hear their stories and experiences, to see them first hand doing the Lord's work up close. They have become a part of our family and the kids adore them. Their room is filled with notes from Payton. I think I do "Mother" them a bit too much, but it's hard not to. It's going to be very sad when it's time for another family to take this opportunity to live with the missionaries. We are going to feel a little jealous because they have become "OUR" Missionaries now!
Friday, July 18, 2008
"Meet our Newest House Guests"
Posted by Hazen5 at 7:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
I wish my missionary could live with you. We had the Elders live with us for a year when we were first married.
You are so good to open your home to them. I think that would keep me on my toes!
That is awesome. Who doesn't love a missionary? Every time I see one I want to pinch his/her cheeks.
I would totally mother them too... who doesn't need some good mothering?
How lucky are you???
Your family is really blessed to have them in your ward and especially in your home. It's a blessing like you said to have them there for RJ to watch and look up too. There isn't a better way to learn but by example and he's right there on the front line! How special for you and your family!!!
I sure miss having a missionary in the field!
I'll see you in less than two weeks and If you have time I could use your help putting the lunches together and tying the ribbons and tags on and getting them ready to take with us to the temple. Jeni has to leave really early and she asked if I would put them together that morning or maybe after the friday night dinner. I'm assuming she's asked for help with that besides just me. I'll have to coordinate that when I get there. See Ya!
How fun and special! Really that is so neat. Keep on mothering them. I bet they love it.
Diane, I want to hear more about having missionaries living with you as newlyweds!!!!
So where do you keep the Mt. Dew and Diet coke????
and they, (the missionaries) look like they belong with your cute family!
That is so cool you are doing that. They could never live at our house though. At least that pair. They are too cute and my daughter would flirt with them unabashedly.
I think we shocked those poor boys when I was there!!!
They ARE sweet elders. I know you will miss them, especially the fact that your room and theirs share a wall.
It was fun to have a family sing a long with them!!!
That is a neat experience for the whole family. I think it would be great to have missionaries come live with us for a while.
LOVE those boys!
so are you saying you want them to stay???! That is a great experience for your fam...don't know if I could do it! It would certainly force me out of a couple habits!
Yay for missionaries! I'm sure they're very spoiled and love your mothering. :)
They are such cute boys...we love to have them over for dinner. If they were here I couldn't watch my Young and the Restless or wear my retainer!
You're amazing. Is it horrible to say I wouldn't want missionaries living in my house? Am I on the evil list now? I think maybe I would if my house was bigger and they had sort of their own 'space'. But isn't that a requirement anyway? Just think of all the blessings you're getting! LUCKY!
I think that would be overwhelming, but a neat experience. I think you are neat to have them.
They will bring a great spirit into your home. It is fortunate to have the Lord's servants in our homes.
That is really awesome! I don't think that I could have Missionaries living with me! We are a bit too heathen ;) What a great expirience though! Missionaries are just adorable!
You are so great to open up your house to them. I am glad it has worked out so well :) and...I agree...what a great example for RJ.
Post a Comment