Sunday, June 1, 2008

"THE Talk"

At the end of fourth grade all the girls get "THE Talk", the Maturation discussion. Madison is in that grade and had that talk this last week. When Madison turned 8, I bought her the American Girl book, "The Care and Keeping of You." It's a great book that explains a lot about the changes your daughter will be going through as she gets older in a easy way. The book does have a lot of details that at the age of 8 I wasn't ready for Madison to know yet. So, I kept the book and read the things that only pertained to her being 8 years old. Well almost 2 years later, I broke out the book again and we went over it cover to cover. We also read another book that Grandma Hazen sent to her as well, "The LDS Girl's Guide to Real Beauty". I wanted to make sure Madison was taught about these things from me first. We had a great talk and lots of questions were asked and answered. I felt really good about what was said and taught. At the end I was looking at my sweet daughter telling her how fast she is growing up and how quickly life flies by when I noticed tears in her eyes. I asked her what was wrong and she said she doesn't want to grow up. I asked why and she said, "If I do, then I will have to leave you and Daddy." That made me cry! I explained to her that she'll never "really" leave me, but she'll go on to have her own family that will make our family larger. And that I'll always be her momma and she'll no matter how old will always be my baby.

It is hard and exciting to watch your child grow up, talks like these are bitter sweet! But, no matter how old she'll get, Madison will always be my baby. Right, Mom and Dad? Because I know I am still yours, you remind me of that everyday!

20 comments:

Marcie said...

The end of fourth grade? Are they moving it back or am I not remembering correctly- I thought it was sixth grade! Madison is such a sweetie.

Annemarie said...

What a sweet girl! I am having a really hard time watching my babies turn into big boys. I love that this turned out to be such a positive moment for you two. Way to go!! Any other advice...?

Ashley Clark said...

I had no idea there were so many books out there for "the talk." I'm glad there's an LDS version too. I think my mom checked out books from the library. She explained, "You know when they say on TV that they're sleeping with each other, it means..." It was like a light bulb went off in my head. I was so naive!

Tristan said...

I remember the "Maturation Program". I had mine in 6th grade though.

They seriously grow WAY too fast! She is beautiful!

Sarah said...

That's so good to know that there are LDS books that cover this topic for young girls! It will be a while for me to cover this topic for a girl anyway, but it is really reassuring to know that when I do, I have great LDS resources! I'm sure you did a great job!

Jake said...

She is so sweet! I'm glad you blogged this...

Lisa-Marie said...

I'm glad that you blogged this too. I'm going to have to file this away so I can remember these books in a few years. My time will come for the talk before I know it I'm sure. YIKES! And the pictures of Madison with her "special" books. That makes me giggle.

the wrath of khandrea said...

top 5 reasons for an arranged marriage between our children:

1. your daughter is gorgeous
2. i could handle the in-laws
3. they are the same age
4. they both had The Talk at the same time, ensuring my future daughter-in-law didn't learn her facts off a bathroom wall, and your future son-in-law didn't get his from the locker room
5. they could put those facts to use in making gorgeous grandbabies for us.

are you game?

Lauren in GA said...

Awwwww, I love that she doesn't want to leave you and her Dad. What a sweet, sweet girl :)

I was in Sixth Grade when I got the talk at school but, of course, times are a changin'. You are so wise to explain those things to her first. You are a great Mom as evidenced by your wonderful children. :)

queenieweenie said...

What a funny word...maturation...it sound a little too much like...oh, nevermind.

She's such a young lady. Before you know it she'll be in yw with Hailey!

heidiram said...

Tino had the big talk in school about one month ago. We had the option to preview the video and materials they were going to use. It was WAY OVER THE TOP and WAY TOO MUCH information. At first Cristian was all game for him sitting in on the school presentation. By the time we were 10 minutes into the video, he said "Tino is not ready for this. It is WAY TOO MUCH information." So for all of you out there with BOYS . . . what books or materials have you used? And the Proctor and Gamble Sex Education program is not a choice.

AnnEE said...

While I think that "the talk" is horribly awkward, I'm so glad that you and Maddie had a good experience. She is so stinking cute. I love her!

Hazen5 said...

Andrea, I am game! We would have some very cute grandbabies. And a good time being the in-laws, Christmas at my house or your house?

Heather said...

Cute Cute.

Michele said...

Will you give my girls "The Talk." JK We are still on the topic of personal hygiene. Love Ya

Jessica said...

I bet you never worried that your mom would blog about your "Talk"!!

Bridget said...

What a sweet girl Madison is to cry at the thought of having to leave you and your husband. I am not looking forward to having to have "the talk" but you are giving me hope that it can be a positive thing.

Jenibelle said...

Ummmmm......EXCUSE ME RACH......I thought we have had an agreement for many years and now that interloper Andrea comes in and you throw it all away? Time to rethink methinks.

By the way, Scotty had a talk also...he knows to wash EVERYWHERE. This is a good skill.

diane said...

Some of my kids covered their heads and yelled NO!, when we had the talk. I like the Care and Keeping book...I used it too.

the wrath of khandrea said...

oh jeni, don't hate.
plus, i thought an interloper was one who elopes online? no? because if so, that's pretty much what i was working towards there.