Over the summer R.J. was in charge of a Family
Home Evening. Smart kid "killed two birds with one stone", he not only passed off a requirement for scouts but, one for Faith in God as well. He planned to make our family "Fire Safe"! We went through the house looking for potential fire hazards, we checked all the fire alarms, we drew a fire-emergency escape plan. I think the kids favorite
part was practicing the "Stop-Drop-and Roll" method. R.J. did a great job being our own personal fire marshall. After all that we had a "Practice Fire Drill". I guess all these activities were bringing some old memories to the surface for Payton.
During our escape she started to cry a little bit. After we reached our "Safe Meeting Spot" (the mail box) I finally understood why, she is still nervous from last year's San Diego Wild Fire fire evacuation. I made her realize that we should have
nothing to fear if we are prepared. And that is why we are doing this practice fire drill, so if it does happen again, we will know what to expect. Next month will be a year since the fires threatened our homes. This year we will be prepared, but hopefully we won't have to be!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
"Fire Drill" How I Spent My Summer Vacation: Edition 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
OK, I love the silky lilac PJ's!!
Great idea!
Jax would love to have been the "fire marshall"!
Good for you! It really is so important to be prepared, especially where you guys live. RJ is such a stud!
Yeah we do to work on an Earthquake drill. My kids have no idea what to do. I know, I know what am I thinking living in Ca and not talking about that but I just haven't. This post inspired me.
I got the giggles 'cause I clicked on the last picture and NO ONE looks happy! Too funny.
Go RJ-you're a stud.
I love the picture of the kids walking holding hands. So sweet! I can't believe it's almost been a year since the fires.
It was a year ago that I "met" you through Jeni. The first posts I ever read of yours were when you and Rob were volunteering! Can't believe it's been a year!
What a good guy RJ is. Everytime I read about him, I hope that Connor can grow up to be just like RJ!
the stop-drop-and roll photo is the best - excellent idea!
Oh....I can totally understand why that made Payton cry...poor, sweet girl.
RJ is so smart...Scouts and Faith in God. BRILLIANT! I think I know what Evan will have to teach for FHE soon! (I still haven't posted about Evan getting his Arrow of Light, yet...bad mom!)
I love the picture of the kids from behind. So sweet.
Way to go...be careful, my friend!
Great Idea! We did the same thing the other night but an earthquake drill. During the middle of the discussion, Emma said, "I don't want to talk about this anymore -- It's too scary." Payton has a good reason to shed a tear -- too many memories.
Why didn't you pick "the roof the roof the roof is on fire...." for the song?
I love all your summer vacation activities...can R.J come to our house next. By the way, your fire & ice was very envied by Matt. Talk about a man's best friend!
I want R.J. to come teach our family. I loooove the Stop, Stop and Roll photo. Made me laugh!
Hugs
Post a Comment