Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"You are Out!"

"YOU ARE OUT!" That was a phrase I had been hearing R.J. use a lot lately, not in the home but on the field! He just finished his first season with the Junior Umpire League. It has been a great experience for him. He has learned a lot, especially to trust his instincts, stand by his calls and to not to be intimidated by the Adult coaches. (which was really hard) He was able to really learn and memorize the rule book too. He was even complimented a few times after the game by impressed coaches saying that,"He really knew his stuff!" This was also a great paying job for a 11 year old boy. He made 15 dollars a game and sometimes even umpired 2 games in one Saturday. He is saving to buy a Wii all by himself and has been very diligent paying his tithing. I sure get a kick out of watching him and hearing him make calls. He gets very serious and uses a "Deep Manly" voice and uses very large gestures when the runner is safe or the ball is foul! He even uses that cute little broom to dust off home plate. I also have to admit he looks adorable in his umpiring uniform. Hey, if he never makes it to the majors playing ball, maybe he could still have a career in Professional Baseball as a Ump. I'd still go watch his games!

17 comments:

Annemarie said...

I think that is so great. I also love teen lifeguards. I tell my boys that right now they might think working at McDonalds sounds cool...but when they're 16 they won't!
What a cute kid!

Heather said...

Does he remember that I sang him take me out to the ballgame over and over and over again when he was a baby?

AnnEE said...

He is so cute. Is he too big to be cute??

brooke said...

That is so cool that RJ did that. I didn't even know that existed for non-adults. What an awesome kid!

Melissa said...

it looks like he had fun

queenieweenie said...

Awww...how is he so cute AND so manly at the same time??? The Weenigs love RJ.

diane said...

Does he bring home the bacon? I love when kids work! All of a sudden they are very careful with their money, not my money...oh well!

Audry said...

I that's so cool. Adult coaches would be so intimidating. Good for him, what a great learning experience.

Lauren in GA said...

I am always so impressed with RJ and now I am even more impressed! I love how he learned the rules so well and how he stands behind his calls even when adult coaches are pressuring him! That says so much for his wonderful character. :)

Lauren said...

I miss RJ so so much!! i can't wait to see you all sooner than i think! love you bunches, and stop letting RJ grow up so fast!

queenieweenie said...

love rj

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Wait, does RJ have a manly voice?

Tristan said...

That is a great expirience for him! I love the "deep manly voice" LOL

Kimberly said...

What a cutie!

momala@grammy.com said...

Is there anything that this great darling "boy" can't do. You are MY American Idol !

SFGiantsDude said...

Mom I did 3 games one saturday and then had to baby-sit the Timmermans. I work HARD for my money.


Thanks grandma, I love you too!

Lisa-Marie said...

That RJ. I'm always so impressed with him. He seems so responsible and kind and polite (not to mention darling!) You have done well, my friend.