Thursday, January 10, 2008

"We Had SEW much Fun!"

We are hitting our third week of winter break and the kids are getting a little stir crazy! R.J. had a play date, so that left the girls and I to fend for ourselves. We decided to have a little "Mother-Daughter" time and do some sewing. I told you I am not the best seamstress but, my mom did teach me to sew a straight line. I thought it was about time to teach the girls to do the same thing. Maybe being this young they will be able to learn more than I did and actually sew more than just P.J. bottoms (I will keep my fingers crossed). So, today we attempted to SEW without patterns! We learned from trial and error and our creations turned out pretty good for beginners! Madison made a tiny tote for her cell phone and Payton made a scripture bag. I am really proud of the girls. They wanted to do everything themselves and they pretty much did! I just pushed the pedal for Payton because she was too tiny to reach it. Our next project-Purses! Baby steps, we will learn together. Maybe I will become a great seamstress yet! I hope my daughters learn to love sewing, I think it's a lost art!

11 comments:

queenieweenie said...

Does mother/daughter day require matching clothing for the girls for cute blog pictures? The projects turned out so cute. What a good mom you are. I spend the day telling my kids to go outside and play so I could work. Good memories.

AnnEE said...

How I love that Maddie is 9 and still is ok with matching her sister!

Hazen5 said...

Payton requested Maddie match her today! And sweet Maddie did.

Celia Fae said...

I'm glad you are coming. Send me your email so I can add you to the email group.

shayla said...

What a great momma you are! Kenz got a kids- pbk sewing machine for Christmas and can't get enough of it! I don't have the patience that you do tho'. I'm impressed with their creations!

Ashley Clark said...

I love to sew also. When I was little, I would start a hard sewing project and my mom would stay up all hours of the night finishing it for me. What a great skill to teach your girls!

Unknown said...

Okay, first of all - week 3 of a school break????? Are you guys on year round school? We had a two week break and I nearly died - okay, that is being dramatic, but 3 weeks???

Second, sewing is a great skill. Out of all the domestic skills I possess, sewing is not one of the them. i can't sew a stitch. I'm thinking about taking a class up here in Salem so I figure I can learn something while I'm stuck here.
have fun!!

Jessica said...

Those look great. What a fun girls day activity. I am impressed. You must know how to do more than a staight line, those look great.

Heather said...

Did you take them to Joann's with the 25% off coupons?

Now THAT is a great skill. I have been in the sewing/swearing mood lately too.

queenieweenie said...

I LOVE the new layout. So crisp, clean, and pretty. So you!

brooke said...

Very impressive indeed! Especially considering you used no pattern. I can't do that....yet! You've inspired me, off I go!