Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Martin Luther King Day, Mexico Style!"

With a day off from school to celebrate Martin Luther King Day, we had to go somewhere and do something! The kids just got done with a three week winter break and we were running out of Fun Activities to do with the kids. So, we headed South to the boarder. We just parked the car and walked across. (the shootings in Tijuana last week did not scare this Chica away!) We basically went for lunch. No shopping today, a kid can only have so many necklaces, little guitars, and piggy banks! Rob gets these uncontrollable cravings for "Authentic" Mexican Food! You'd think living in San Diego there would be huge list of Restaurants to choose from, but there isn't. (If you have any suggestions, let me know.) We all got our fill of Carne Asada Tacos, Bean and Cheese Burritos on homemade tortillas. Rob was in heaven, Mexico served its purpose and we were on our way home! But, not without getting a bag of Freshly made Churros! Living near the boarder does have its benefits! Viva Mexico!!!

15 comments:

brooke said...

Que divertido! Hace tanto tiempo que voy a Mexico. Me has inspirado! (thought it was more appropriate to respond in espanol)

Heather said...

Rob's face looks like he's ready to have poo-poo panties soon.

Audry said...

Fun! When I was a kid we would go to Ensenada every year for our summer vacation. This took me back to my childhood.

queenieweenie said...

Looks like a fun day. Are carne asada tacos on your diet? J/K. Contrats on the poundage lost. You're soooo close (and I'm sooooooo far!)

heidiram said...

Do you need passports to get in and out of Mexico now? We had to get the kids' passports for Dominican Republic. Big bummer. No more just showing birth certificates.

Can I tell you what I would GIVE for real, honest to goodness Mexican food? I'll trade ya . . . Cuban or Puerto Rican food for Mexican food. I remember back in the day when I craved island food. Now I'd give ANYTHING for Mexican.

Hazen5 said...

Allison, I had two taco and I KNOW they were not on the Diet! I could not resist, I could have ate 4 more. Heid, we used our passports, but I think it is still fine to use birth cert. till July when you walk across the boarder!

shayla said...

You guys know how to have all the fun!

We really enjoy this hole in the wall called Raul's Shack in Encinitas. YUM!!!

AnnEE said...

Too bad we haven't ordered Hazen's BC yet. I want some yummy food when we come down!!

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Glad you went to Tijuana with the intention to actually go there. When Dave's parents were here last month they nearly made it there on their way to the airport. Funny story. I'll have to share it sometime.

grammy said...

Rachel dear, have you gotten your Hep A/B shots. I have my doubts that your food was prepared with proper hand washing. The kids are protected..Rob.... I'm not sure they were required when you when on your mission. Look in the mirror, any yellow eyes ????

Ashley Clark said...

I hope the Mexican churros did not become the Mexican laxative.

Jenibelle said...

Did you go to a place that had a big pork thigh on the rotisserie and when you ordered a taco they went over and cut a chunk off? Nothing says "fresh" quite like that.....

Celia Fae said...

Next time you go, I want a pig made out of clay. It would be appropriate for me.

I ate Jalisco's today. Does that count as real Mexican?

Great photos.

Marcie said...

Way to brave it and go to TJ!
I need to drop something by for you next week. I'll be calling you soon!

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

Do you actually think that some of those clowns at Jack-In-the Box, Carl's Jr, or even Morton's wash their hands? I don't worry too much about dirty digits when we go south because my body is immune from it here in el norte.