Thursday, January 17, 2008

"Dora's Abuela!"

If I pass by the playroom during the day, Payton will at times snag me to play with her. She drops the old standby "You never play with me". So we decided to play Dora. Dora comes with a family including Grandma (Abuela). I didn't want to break character so Abuela spoke Spanish the entire time we played.

Abuela: Queires comer? (Do you want to eat?)
Payton: WHAAT?
Abuela: Quieres comer? (Do you want to eat?)
Payton: Dad stop the Spanish talk. Talk right.
Abuela: Quieres dormir? (Do you want to sleep?)
Payton: Dad. Stop the Spanish talk. I don't understand.
(So, the Abuela started to jump on the table and pretended to eat while saying "comer, comer, comer")
Payton: Eat?
Abuela: SI, SI, SI!!! (Yes, Yes, Yes)

I don't think Payton was too happy with the Spanish Speaking Abuela! Maybe one of our childeren will learn spanish after all! Their Grandpa Melendez will be proud!

16 comments:

Ashley Clark said...

Doug has tried to teach me Spanish as well. Usually his lessons consist of made-up songs in Spanish. I think Rob's (I mean, Abuela's) method is much better!

Celia Fae said...

I'm thinking that the Spanish method is an excellent play time preventative. Way to make it her choice.

Rach - I will add you to the poster's list because I can't wait to hear what you say!

AnnEE said...

I can TOTALLY hear her saying the WHAAT??

PS- Neill sure showed them that he wasn't lazy by losing LESS than his wife post Biggest Loser, aye?

brooke said...

Siempre quiero comer. Soy como la abuela muchas veces! Que divertido!

Heather said...

So, calling your kids Cochina (o) hasn't counted as teaching in spanish?

Heather said...

Also, did you yell and repeat every word just like Dora?

Now THAT baby hurts my ears.

Hazen5 said...

Translation Brooke please, my interpreter is not here to translate. (I wish I knew spanish)

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

Pay finally figured out what Abuela was saying when Dora would go into the bathroom and abuela would ask "Quieres hacer caca?" For some strange reason Payton does understand that.

Carrie said...

That is too cute! What a great picture that will be treasured! I don't think I have any pictures of my dad playing dolls with me. :(

Jenibelle said...

The best thing about knowing a language that no one else in your house knows is that you can swear and they don't understand it. This is why Byron has resisted the urge to teach us all German. He has kept up his German for 27 years...well, part of it!

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

I only took Spanish for two years in Junior High (and we won't mention how many years ago that was) and I am pretty impressed with myself that I could interpret that. I still remember the commercials I had to memorize. "TRIX! Trix es para ninos - no para conejos!" I know - you're speechless because of my abilities.

Tammi said...

Love that story Rob! I did something similar with Madie when she was like 3 1/2...ony much more out of a teasing spirit than a learning one. She had been bugging me and whining and stuff aghhh. So I spoke ONLY spanish to her for like an hour...she reacted the same as Peyton. Was not happy with her spanish mommy!

queenieweenie said...

Love the Bob posts-keep 'em coming!

Marcie said...

That is hilarious- such a "Dad thing" to do! :) I can't wait to talk to you soon and hear about your adventures with my kiddies!

Nortorious said...

That abuela sounds a little crazy. Sleep or eat? Are those ALL the options?

Audry said...

That's funny it reminds of how my husband and I use to try to teach our daughter spanish, she hated it. Anyway, yes I know Carrie she was in my ward in the desert when she lived there. We missed her when she left. But now I live in Bwood