I didn't really want to tell anyone that I was having neck surgery and going to have my thyroid removed. I have a hard time with accepting help but, since I am on the mend and almost over this hurdle I just have to say, Thank You to my "little helpers" that didn't listen and helped anyways. I appreciate NOW that you did for me! This surgery was a lot harder than I anticipated. And I consider myself tough and have a very high tolerance for
pain! My surgeon was able to save half my thyroid and 3 out of 4 of my vocal cords. He said my incision was larger than normal due to the big size of my thyroid.
But, also added that my neck was a pleasure to work on, very long and beautiful (I think that was the first time anyone has said that about MY neck!) My big nodules inside my neck are gone and now are replaced with scary "The Bride of Frankenstein" stitches. After spending two horrible days in the hospital I was ready to come home. I am so grateful for a husband who spent the entire time with me. He was my greatest advocate making sure I had the best care, pain medication and hospital room. And doing all this while ignoring his own hatred for anything hospital, stitches,
blood or I.V.s! I am grateful for loving parents that would not take no for an answer and came to take
care of their baby (they still call me that) anyways. I didn't know how much
I would really need them or WANT them. They have taken care of everything so Rob could go back to work. I don't think anyone but my mom could take care of my incision without gagging! And my dad is the best carpool driver ever. They make it okay for me to fall asleep and not worry about my household.
I am grateful to my sweetest, best sisters (Michele & Laura) for picking up all the slack. Taking the kids every where they need to be, making dinner, letting my kids spend the night and taking them for ice cream. And for just visiting me and telling me my neck looks great, even when I know they are lying. I
am grateful to have a best friend (Allison)
who is there for me just like my family any time I need her. Who brings me a basket full of "goodies & Trashy Magazines" to help pass the time in bed. I am grateful for Visiting Teachers (Karyn & Lisa) who "secretly" got meals together for my family. And for all my good friends who helped bring in the fabulous, gourmet dinners. My
whole family appreciates your service and love. It is times like these even though it is hard, I can feel the love around me. I am embarrassed I tried to push it away, because I really do feel good. And I am looking forward to the time when I can help out one of my "Little Helpers". Don't be like me and try to say, no! But, accept gracefully because it's going to happen anyways.

33 comments:
Tit for Tat on the 25th!
Love you to pieces.
You are in the club now having fallen among the cut-throats. The hardest part for me about neck surgery was trying to drink from a cup. I used a straw for awhile and then when you go get your haircut, it is tricky to stretch your neck back into the shampoo bowl.
I'm glad you are being spoiled. It is hard to accept help, But it blesses both those who help and those who receive.
Now you can start shopping for cute necklaces to cover your scar.
I'm so happy to hear that you came through the surgery without complication and that you had such wonderful helpers. Being sick is hard but it's so nice to have the love and support of our family and friends. It's always hard to be on the receiving end but it's good to know how much we are loved!
I send my love and prayers your way for a continued recovery!
I am so glad you are being taken care of so well! You deserve a little pampering!
It is hard for me to let others help me also. Why is that? Do we really think we can do it all? ;)
Wow Rachel- I'm glad that you are A-Okay and that your surgery was considered a success - Nosy Question - did your thyroid just stop working? Do you have to go on thyroid meds for the rest of your life? I'm just curious.
Anyway, I'm glad you had much needed support - that really counts!! (also, I couldn't help but notice the People magazine in your basket - I totally want to read that one!!)
Shannan,
I have been on thyroid meds. since I was about 12, so it will be nothing new to take more medicine. I have Hypothyroidism/ Hashimoto's disease and a goiter too. My thyroid had nodules that I had to get biopsied about every 6 months and it was growing larger and larger and causing me swallowing issues. My doctor was worried that all it took was one bad cell to cause cancer so he wanted to take it out. That's my thyroid history in a nutshell!
Glad everything went well and that you have such wonderful helpers who didn't listen to you. :)
Feel better soon!
Mom,
I hope you're feeling better! You do so much for us so we are glad we got to do something nice for you. I love you!
Love,
Maddie
I am glad you accepted help. That was the hardest thing I have had to do since being pregnant with the triplets and then having them home. I always said I didn't need help and my ward was so good to me and sent help anyways. It is truley a blessing to have parents, friends and good visiting teachers that are so willing to help. Hope you get to feeling normal soon.
We all love and adore you! I know you would do the same for me.
Hugs
I'm glad to hear you are ok!
I'm so glad you are on the mend and have such wonderful helpers!
Take it easy!
i sort of want to get sick so i can get all that attention.
I'm glad everything went well.
Not to mention your friends SO FAR away that called about 70 times before someone answered the phone!
I am so sad that I can't be there to make you yummy treats and make you laugh just to see if the pain meds work!
Love you!
(had tomato salad tonight in your honor...)
PS. Has anyone told you how HOT you are with your new neck and scar?
HOT HOT HOT!
Jeni,
I needed some cream-puffs!!!! That would have made everything better.
I called you back on Friday but, you were at the temple (you good girl you!)
Always, always accept help when offered! I've learned that the hard way. It's good to tell others so that the support and prayers are in numbers as hard as it is to accept. I'm so glad you're on the mend and that the surgery went well. Glad to witness so many who love you and want to help. Continue to heal well and go easy in getting back to "life".
Ok, so I can't believe you didn't tell me when I saw you at Women's Conference! Glad you are doing well--my thoughts and prayers are with you!
Oh My Goodness Rachel. We had no idea. You are such a trooper. Hope you are feeling well and back to "your ol' self soon!"
Hope you feel better... and how is it that you look so beautiful even in the hospital, wearing those ugly gowns, getting ready for surgery? ... only you could pull that off. Get well soon!
Oh, I'm so glad you're healing quickly! That doesn't sound like the easiest of surgeries. I love the compliment the doctor made of your neck!
I just have to say, I love the heart with the smiley face on the chalkboard.
How darling is Maddie's comment??? Oh, what a sweetie. You're raising them well.
I love what you said..."accept gracefully because it's going to happen anyways." So true! And it's so much more fun to serve and help someone who lushes it up and loves it, rather than be turned away.
Hope you're on the mend, cute friend.
xoxo
I am SO glad you had tons of support and love. Take it easy for a while so you have time to mend and heal. I am happy to hear that the surgery was a success and that you're still talking :) Cutting close to those vocal chords is a scary thing.
Lots of Love!
I'm happy you have wonderful people to watch out for you! I know how hard it is to accept help, and yet, how much it means. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
So, how does that work when you lose one of the four vocal chords? Is your voice different?
Glad you have good help and are doing well, my friend.
Trashy magazines. She IS a true friend.
Soak up all the love and get plenty of rest!
I'm glad that everything went well, Rachel! Surgery is a big deal! I'm sure you really do look beautiful.
Keep your "scar" away from the sun.
and if your healed a little Vitimin E capsule. However the very best thing is to slather it in the very best quality chocolate you can get. What doesn't fit on your neck put in your mouth.
I forgot you were having this done! So glad it went well and everyone took care of you! Too bad I wasn't there to bring you cookies!
Mommy I missed you when you were gone, but I had a fun time with Grandma & Grandpa. I am so happy you got your thing in your neck growing out! Love always pay pay,
I know what you mean about not wanting to accept help. I am so grateful for all the help I have received recently but I fought it, too ☺.
You are so beautiful. I always think that when I see pictures of you.
Post a Comment