Friday, March 14, 2008

"Oh, No She Didn't!"

I had an appointment this week and left before I helped Payton get ready for the day. This left Rob in charge of getting Payton up, dressed and off to Pre-school. To make it easier on both of them I layed out her clothes, It was "White" day at school, therefore I made sure to put out a cute "White Ralph Lauren" sweater and some jeans. I should have known, It would not turn out that simple. When I picked her up from school, I stopped dead in my tracks..."Oh, no she didn't!" She was wearing a dirty, old, too small, white tank top that I would never "lay out" for her to wear over another white t-shirt. (the picture does not do the shirt justice) I asked her what she was wearing and she said, "My undercover that I wear under my pajamas to make me not itchy!" As I looked closer at the shirt, I could see the eggs that did not quite make it in her mouth from breakfast. I hurried her out the door and into the car before other parents realized this was my unkempt child wearing P.J.s to school. When I got home I asked Rob why he would let her wear this shirt to school. He said I didn't she was wearing the white sweater when we left. It was Payton who sneakily put the cute sweater over the dirty tank top. When she got to school she took the cute sweater off and stuffed it into her backpack. This is not the first time she has done this! She usually switches the "approved" jacket for the "unapproved" jacket from her backpack. But, the tank top has gone too far! We now will start holding pack back checks before we leave for school! The phone obsession and now this, I thought this was something I would have to deal with when she is a teenager. Give me 10 more years to start fighting over clothes she shouldn't wear! I know I am making too much out of this but, she is my only child that fights me on what to wear. R.J. and Maddie are so easy when it comes to clothes. I know I need to start letting her pick out more of her own clothes, I just need to throw out all the stuff I don't approve of. But sorry Payton, there will be no negotiating your hair, you will wear bows or flowers! Payton's response to the whole tank top thing..."Momma, at least my shirt was white!" I am dreading her teenage years.

17 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Don't feel too badly... my friend had to start conducting backpack checks because her daughter put the family's kitten in hers once. When she got off of the bus and a teacher confronted her, she looked at her with feigned surprise and said with wide eyes, "Oh, I forgot my kitten crawled in my backpack" *blink* *blink*

Heather said...

Yep, I see the dirty shirt.

I probably should be a little more vigilant about what my kids wear but I am mostly too tired to care.

Jessica said...

That is hilarious! Sneaky Payton! You are brave to let her wear that adorable WHITE sweater to school, Emma has come home one to many times with blue or red paint all down the front of her. At least she wear the bows and flowers.

Unknown said...

Okay, that was too good. She is definately your payback for having easy dressers for your first two kids.

My kids can be so high maintenance that I kind of gave up on clothes because that was a battle I decided not to fight - except for church and special occasions - and then I'm pinning them to the ground and wrestling the khakis and button-downs on them!!

queenieweenie said...

Two words: LOVE HER!!!

Jenibelle said...

Go Payton!!! Oh yes!!!

I am laughing so hard I can't comment. It only gets worse before it gets better. Strap on that flack jacket, buckle up and get prepared for a wild ride!

GO PAYTIE GO!!!

Paige said...

Make sure you check her prom bag too for the strapless dress you wouldn't let her wear because she's totally changing into it.

Hazen5 said...

I KNOW Paige, this is exactly what I am talking about! No strapless dresses for her with a cute little shrug to cover up those not so modest shoulders, the shrug will just end up in the back pack!!!

Jessica said...

I'm surprised your husband even got her in the required outfit. If I leave the dressing up to him, they wear whatever they want to--last week my 7 year old had on green and yellow track pants with a gray and blue shirt.

Embarrassing.

Audry said...

WOw! That makes me feel better. Madisen has yet to sneak something in her back pack, BUT getting dressed is a huge fight at our house. She does not like anything that is too cute, It is very hard to have a cute little girl who won't let you dress her up cute.

Michelle Baird Designs said...

That is a funny story...when it's not your child. I so know what you mean about the bows. Basically every picture I have of Lily has a bow in it. I think I am going to have her where bows until she is at least 18.

crystal said...

Yowza. Already she's sneaking the clothes under the "approved" clothing?

Mimi fights me, too, on what to wear--the stinker--and she's only 4! Isabelle wears whatever I put out. (eye-roll) Because she couldn't care less about clothes. She's a total tomboy.

I'm with you on the bows!!!

Ashley Clark said...

I don't think I owned a Ralph Lauren anything until last year.

Marcie said...

Wow- she really is acting older than her age! I'll have to talk to you about preschool- is she still at RA&A?

Matt & Brooke said...

I can't believe how cute her hair looks! That's normally the first sign that Dad was in charge! She is so darn cute that she could wear a paper back and look good!

brooke said...

Payton! You are such a ME! That is totally something I did to my mom over and over and over. Maybe Rachel, you should have counseling sessions with my mom...cause honey, you've got a ways to go!

Jake said...

Oh wow, my 7 year old would love to hang out with her. She is totally into wearing whatever is most hideous/immodest/embarassing to mom.

I am ready to stop buying her cute expensive clothes.

All the more clothes budget for me.