Monday, February 25, 2008

"The 80's Called, They Want Their Hair Back!"

My sister Michele had a 40th birthday party for her husband Chad. The theme was the 80's. And yes, everyone did dress up. It brought back so many memories trying to decide which look to go with, the Madonna, the Flash Dance, the Punk Rocker, the Valley-Girl, or the Preppy look! Happy to say I found my costume at the local thrift store and not in my own closet! Lucky for Rob I even found a pair of Acid-Washed Jeans in his size that he could "Peg" at the cuff! I filled in some of the accessory details at some teen store "Fashion 5". Because you know the 80's were all about "Accessories". That store was filled with 80's stuff that I used to wear back in junior high and high school. I found an assortment of Plastic neon bracelets, banana clips, Big oversized earrings, blue eyeliner and mascara and even jelly sandals! I can't believe that fashion is back in style! My hair was the best part of my costume, "The bigger the better", was my motto back then. It was like ridding a bike, I did not forget how to "Curl, tease, spray, curl, tease, spray!" It is a process that has to be done in that order and be done with only Aqua Net! I topped off my hair with a Scunchi of course! I personally loved everything about the 80's, the music (Depeche Mode, Erasure, which I still listen to), the movies (16 Candles, my favorite!), the "Sayings" ("Totally", My inner Valley Girl, still emerges out today), and the clothes (I think I am going back to Fashion 5 to get me some jellies). It was so fun to Flash-Back to the 80's, I have really missed them! Why couldn't the 90's been as fun, I could have done with out all the "grunge".

20 comments:

Ashley Clark said...

You guys go to the best parties! However, since I was born in the 80s, these styles really frighten me. Whatever you do, don't bring the jellies back!

By the way, the recent post on our blog was written by Doug. Sorry to disappoint!

Jessica said...

I am so sad we missed the picture - we had to skip out a little early! What a fun party it was! I loved the prom pictures too.

Hazen5 said...

I knew that didn't sound like you Ashley! You are too sweet!

Heather said...

Alright-who raided Chris Boyer's closet?

Audry said...

Looks like you guys had a good time. You guys seem to do a lot of fun things.

queenieweenie said...

I'm still laughing about how easily you cruised into your 80's girl persona! I can totally picture you back then!!! Too fun.

Lauren said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! DAVEEEEEE

totally cracks me up, and your hair...is waay hot

Paige said...

I hope there was a costume contest and those jeans and your hair won! Priceless.

Marcie said...

That looks like it was such a fun party! I love your hair and Bishop's sweater! I have never stopped listening to 80's music either- it rocks!

AnnEE said...

Dave is my hero. (Not to steal your thunder, because you're my hero too, but WOW.) 3 MORE DAYS!!!!

Hazen5 said...

Isn't Dave (the work out dude) a good sport! His Dove shorts were bearly there! And you couldn't even tell his mustache was fake. He definately won for best costume!
And Anne, the kids are counting the days! Just make sure Hal is prepared to be fought over!

The Jeffs Family said...

Love the pegged pants and the hair! How fun!

Jenibelle said...

That's Dave as in Dave & Laura? Holy toledo!!! And Rob... Rob, Rob, Rob...is that what those private high schools did to you?
Rachel, wow. I am speechless.
Your hair.................

Lauren said...

p.s. ROB'S PANTS!!!!!!

shayla said...

Rach, you had the walk, the talk, the lacey anklets, bangs, the trivia (how in the....did you know ALL that stuff?) You must be Michele's sista! Fun night even if my date was a 9 month old baby!

brooke said...

Too much fun you have! When I grow up, I wanna be just like 80's Rachel!

Ellie said...

If you get the jellies, make sure to wear them with socks, 'cause that is hot.

Jenibelle said...

I'm in the mood for a little Debbie Gibson.....Thriller!

Lisa-Marie said...

I'm with Jeni. Debbie Gibson all the way! "I think we're alone now..."

What a blast! Did anyone have to threaten their hubbies to dress up? I would mine. It would take LOTS of work.

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Those are hilarious pictures. I look at the hair dos and so remember my own hair looking like that. I'm so embarrassed! But, I gotta love it what some 80s glam tunes come on and I know them word for word.