My first concert I ever went to was "New Order". I was a freshman in high school and the year was 1987. New Wave music was at it's height. I remember it like it was yesterday, I can still hear Bernard Sumner singing, "Blue Monday" while my friends and I danced in the isles. Well, my kids can now say, "My first concert I ever went to was David Archuleta." Yes, we took them to their first concert, it's like a right of passage everyone must go through to grow up.
But, our concerts were very different:
-I went alone with friends-They went with their parents
-We sat with boys we just met- They sat behind the first counselor in the Stake Presidency
-My friend cried during her favorite song- No tears were shed for David
-I saw the concert at Irvine Meadows- They saw it at the San Diego County Fair.
Okay, maybe their concert was a little more fun than mine. Nothing beats stuffing your mouth with "Fried Smores", riding a roller coaster, playing carnival games and listening to David sing "Crush" in person all on the same night!
So, who was your first concert?


21 comments:
That's so cool you took the kids to a concert already! My first "real" concert was Oingo Boingo...it was their farewell concert in 1995. I was 15...and my dad snuck us up to 3rd row. It was AMAZING!!! Danny Elfman is crazy and hilarious.
My Mom wouldn't allow me to go to concerts so I didn't get to go to one until I was married. I went to Keith Urban and fell in love instantly! IT was the time of my life!
I love that you took your kids! Awesome!!
B 52's. Wow.
You guys are fun parents!
My first concert was 'N Sync and you went with me!
The Eagles...livin it up at the hotel California.
Fried Smores? That's a new one. Glad nobody had a stroke. Now I'm craving one...a smore not a stroke.
I am not sure, but I think my first concert was the Beach Boys. Every year for the 4th of July there is a huge Fair in St. Louis and bands perform under the arch. I remember John Stamos was their drummer and was wearing Jeans and an american flag vest and no shirt. I thought he was so hot!
Side note: The deep fried smores at the fair were amazing and I love New Order.
MC Hammer in highschool. We slept outside Smith's grocery store to get tickets.
He was a disappointment...
The Jets..."I gotta crush on you"
Don't forget the chocolate covered bacon.
What a fun night! My first concert was Clint Black! Loved him!
My first concert was Madonna...The Virgin Tour at San Diego State. I was 14...The Beastie Boys opened for her...I can't believe my mom let me go...she can't either now...deep fried smores...can we figure that one out for girls camp?? :)
I had a great time! The rides were fun, the concert was nice, the fried smores tasted surprisingly good. But, the chocolate covered bacon was AWFUL!
I can't remember which one was first...KISS with the guys in my ward, we were pretty much the only ones not stoned
OR....
Linda Ronstadt, Doobie Brothers and the Eagles at Day on the Green....awww....memories......
It's kinda hard to remember exactly who performed at my first concert ... it was either Beethoven or Mozart when they were just starting out. The Viennese Waltz was my favorite. The Mom and I danced the whole night through.
It was right after the celebration of the fall of Rome or something like that.
Actually, it was Spike Jones and the City Slickers at the White City Ballroom in Ogden. My Mom took me because I thought the trumpet players were able to play some amazing stuff. I was probably about 10 or 11.
The first concert the Mom and I attended was Johnny Mathis at Lagoon in 1962. They used to have all the "biggies" there and I saw a bunch of them. (I used my profits from the Hot Dog stand to buy gas for my 1958 White Impala to wow the dollies in town and to buy tickets to the concerts.... The Mom was the best dollie!)
Padre
My first concert was Rick Springfield. I think he was a one hit wonder.
I love how you compared your first concert to your children's.
I have never heard of fried smores. I do believe I would enjoy those.
My first concert was Depeche Mode and it was up in LA and if I remember right, my twin sister and I may have lied about where we were going!
I went to my first concert with Bob and Tyra and a neighbor of their's as my 'date'. (It was all very innocent and benign.) I was fifteen and we went to Earth Wind and Fire at the Dee Events Center in Ogden. Wow, 1980. Hadn't though of it in years!
What a fun concert!!!
Love that you asked what our first concert was. BTW, I loved New Order and saw them twice. Oh, the days of Rainsoft and New Order! My first concert was in 7th grade. Went to see the Stray Cats w/ my dad and brother at the Hollywood Palladium. The best part is that everyone was in black and smoking cloves. I was in my pink pleated cords and grey and pink teddy bear sweater. It was that night that I realized I was growing up.
First concert: Edwin McCain in a tiny club in SF.
First BIG Concert: Barenaked Ladies at the E Center in Utah.
First concert...Madonna in her Blond Ambition Tour. Second concert a few weeks later...Erasure.
Just dropping a line. You are great! I love reading all about the fam. I would love to have you meet our family one day. I think that it would be great. Hey, read the LDS living mag? There is an article written about us. It is great. Enjoy it!
Did you just say David Archuletta wasmore fun than New Order?! Blasphemy!
My first was ZZ Top in 7th grade, 1983. I'm ancient! Heeheeheehee.
My favorite concerts were the ones I went to in college...probably Jesus & Mary Chain was the best ever...small venue & so fun. I dragged Mike to a Cocteau Twins concert in San Francisco when we were first married & it was so fun and the people were SO WEIRD!!! We were the only 2 people who looked like they weren't in Halloween costume! Can you imagine Mike surrounded by hundreds of goth looking weirdries? Ha!
Post a Comment