The day after R.J. turned twelve he got his first taste of "Giving Service as a Youth", no more Primary Service for him. He's in the big league now! Youth Service is big time, the weak need not show up. 4:30 Monday morning even before the sun came up, we went to help out at the Interfaith Community. The Interfaith Community focuses on the needs of low-income and homeless people. That morning we
prepared a home-cooked, hot meal for about 150 people and put together sack lunches for them to take with them all
while wearing a adorable hairnet. R.J. did a great job helping out. He was in charge of the egg casserole and made it all by himself. It's hard for me to remember that he's a competent, young man now. But, the mommy in me
wants to come out and help him do EVERYTHING. I am learning surely
but slowly to step back and watch him in action, mistakes
and all! We had a great time together
with the youth. My favorite part was watching the youth serve these sweet people who are in need of some help. You could see genuine concern in the kids eyes while they put food onto their plates. And when the people said, "thank you" I know they truly felt they did some good to help someone else. I am so grateful I got to witness R.J. giving this kind of service!

17 comments:
no, seriously. still waiting for the post in which you detail his flaws. he's too old for noe, so he can't continue to be so perfect.
madison, however, must remain perfect if she is to marry mika.
thanks.
He is such a good boy...well, no longer a boy...he is such a good young man and you are such a great Mom!
Seriously! You have such a great boy! He's so handsome!
#1 can't believe RJ is that old!!!
#2 I LAAHUhove Your short Hair - You are one of those girls that just always has good hair!!!
#3 I am pretty sure that merry go rounds are illegal -- maybe I shouldb't be posting about my in laws criminal behavior! heehee --
CHRIS!
What a handsome, good kid. You should be a proud momma.
He is such a cute kid. Lucky mom!!
I was sad you couldn't come the other night!!
You look too young to have a 12 year old.
Of course you are a great woman so naturally your children are fantastic too.
Me? Look too Young? I love you Ilene!!
love that boy!
That activity fosters gratitude. I love when my kids do that. They come home all humble. It lasts about a week.
Maybe this ages me, but I think RJ is growing up too fast. I still remember going to serve at the soup kitchen in San Fran as a youth. Great experience!
My big boy is a year behind yours. I will look to all of your wisdom between now and then to see what is headed my way. Please tell me they're all easy and sweet like yours?
I am still alive, thanks for checking. It seems the last several weeks every time I decide to get on the blogging train again, something (potty training -- which nearly killed me, travel, ridiculous birthday bash for a 1 year-old, colds -- particularly a horrible flu that is currently sucking out my life force, and an overwhelming sense that so much has happened in my universe I'll never be able to catch up on the blog), gets in the way. But, I am hoping after Saturday (I'm in charge of the Embassy Easter party) I'll be back in the swing of things.
You have no idea how happy I feel right now listening to "I Feel My Savior's Love" on your blog right now. Just the pick-me-up I didn't know I needed! You're great even without trying!!
It is crazy to see him old enough. Time is passing by TOO FAST. I suppose we just have to enjoy EVERY moment. It is fun stuff to watch our little ones get big.
R.J. is a good boy! What a neat experience. Hugs
Mommy and R.J. The night you went there you woke me up.Was it fun why? I bet all the people were really happy.
R.J. how awesome to help and serve others! We are so proud of you. Keep up the good work!
Love Grandpa and grandma
Post a Comment