I woke up this morning staring into the face of my sweet baby. I watched her peacefully breath in and out, in and out. All the while trying not to make too much movement in fear of waking her up. I think I love my kids most when they are sleeping. Not for why you think, because they are quiet and motionless. But, because they look happy, not a care in the world, they are perfect right at that moment. I had to capture Payton's perfect moment. The sound of the camera made her stir into different positions but she fought the light of the morning and kept her eyes sealed shut a little longer not wanting to give into the day. Last night she found her way in the dark to my side of the bed. She had a nightmare. Usually she is okay to sleep on the couch in our retreat but not this time, this nightmare was different. She needed to sleep with the protection of Mommy and Daddy surrounding her. She had to sleep in the middle. Since I had kids I made a promise to myself, never to deny them my bed and arms of comfort when they had a nightmare. My mom taught me this a long time ago. She never forced me to return to my own bed. Her bed was always a place of comfort, a place where bad dreams were not allowed. It didn't matter how many of her children found their way to that bed at once, all were welcome! When Payton finally woke up, I asked her what her dream was about. She said, "I can't remember anymore." Then she snuggled deeper into my arms. Mama's bed only allows "Sweet Dreams"!Tuesday, April 7, 2009
"Sweet Dreams"
I woke up this morning staring into the face of my sweet baby. I watched her peacefully breath in and out, in and out. All the while trying not to make too much movement in fear of waking her up. I think I love my kids most when they are sleeping. Not for why you think, because they are quiet and motionless. But, because they look happy, not a care in the world, they are perfect right at that moment. I had to capture Payton's perfect moment. The sound of the camera made her stir into different positions but she fought the light of the morning and kept her eyes sealed shut a little longer not wanting to give into the day. Last night she found her way in the dark to my side of the bed. She had a nightmare. Usually she is okay to sleep on the couch in our retreat but not this time, this nightmare was different. She needed to sleep with the protection of Mommy and Daddy surrounding her. She had to sleep in the middle. Since I had kids I made a promise to myself, never to deny them my bed and arms of comfort when they had a nightmare. My mom taught me this a long time ago. She never forced me to return to my own bed. Her bed was always a place of comfort, a place where bad dreams were not allowed. It didn't matter how many of her children found their way to that bed at once, all were welcome! When Payton finally woke up, I asked her what her dream was about. She said, "I can't remember anymore." Then she snuggled deeper into my arms. Mama's bed only allows "Sweet Dreams"!Posted by Hazen5 at 4:16 PM
Labels: Payton 09', Things My Mother Taught Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


23 comments:
She is so beautiful!
We never deny our bed for nightmares either. :)
I also woke up with my little girl next to me, but it was because of my own selfishness in wanting a couple more hours of sleep. I appreciate hearing how you handle things. I'm going to follow suit and do the same for our little Eva when she has bad dreams.
sometimes i want to pinch you just to see if you are real. you are about as close to perfection as anyone i've ever met.
gorgeous pictures.
I miss that stage. Maybe I'll start crawling in bed with my baby when I have a bad dream.
She looks dreamy.
I want to snuggle with Paypay (and my Mads.)
oh how i love her so much
What a sweet post. I love this Payton collage.
So sweet and sooo beautiful! I bet she already knows how gorgeous she is, right? Those boys are gonna be lining up for her. It will be so sad when she grows out of this snuggle stage! Love it! You are such a good mom!
She is gorgeous!
Although, as sweet as you make it sound I can't have kids sleep in my bed with me. With have a strict "no kids in my bed" policy. We do allow them to cuddle for a few moments and we reassure them. Then it is back to bed. Otherwise I don't sleep at all. And I am one who really needs her sleep.
She is very beautiful and those pictures are beautiful, too. I love the one where her big brown eyes are open.
This was a lovely post. I love how it captures the experience of comforting her.
What an angle!
Thanks for reminding me about Mom's bed.
Hugs
You are the most thoughtful and kind mother I know. Your kids are so blessed.
We have a no kids in bed rule at our house too and now I'm second guessing myself. Really, who wants to be by themselves after having a bad dream? I do always take Sirri back to her bed and help her say a prayer. I hope that is enough comfort for her.
Beautiful words and pictures. Ditto on the nightmare-free zone in our bed, too.
Your post made me cry! :)
How Beautiful. I too love that my children know where to come when they are scared. I just wish they didn't kick so hard in the middle of the night.
She is a sleeping beauty for sure. I wish I were a nice mom that way. Kids aren't allowed in my bed. I guess my kids are going to grow up to resent me. Or else they already do. :)
I love that you let them in. She's is so sweet!
Oh I love this!
She is GORGEOUS!! I love watching my children sleep too...I always get a little teary eyed because they are such great gifts! You are a wonderful mother!!
That was just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
April
This is breathtakingly beautiful. I completely agree with you. So awesome. This is a good example to me.
So sweet.
My parents rarely let me into their bed...but I STILL remember how I felt when they did. It was the safest feeling in the world!
My boys know when their dad is out of town, my bed is fair game. I can't turn those faces away either.
Post a Comment