Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Spiritually & Physically Fed"

Conference Weekend is all about being spiritually and physically WELL FED! There's nothing better than listening to the Prophet voice while eating a big, delicious, homemade breakfast. Except that you are doing it in your pajamas, that makes it even better! Gone are the days that I remember, when my parents would wake us up to get ready to leave for church so we could watch General Conference in the dark on the big Broadcast Screen. I hated leaving an hour early just to get a spot on the comfy rows not the hard folding chairs way in the back of the cultural hall. I love you KBYU, thank you for letting me watch General Conference from my very own couch! My kids don't realize how good they have it. But, they do appreciate it and have come to love our Conference Weekend Traditions. Eating breakfast on trays in front of the T.V. happens only twice a year in this house. I always try to surprise them with something new for breakfast, this time it was the "Love at Home" breakfast Strata. It was a big hit. Another tradition is Conference Journals. They each get a new journal to write their thoughts about conference or draw a picture of the speaker, then they take them to church to use for the next six months. Another favorite for the kids is Conference Bingo with M&Ms. Maddie won "black-out" this time. And we couldn't forget about the General Conference Activity Packet. We find them online and the kids really pay attention with the help of these. Personally, I loved being "Spiritually Fed" by our Prophet, he gave my favorite talk about Change. "Nothing is as constant as change!" Our realization of what's most important in life goes hand in hand with appreciation of blessings. I truly believe that. I need to in my life express more "Thank Yous" to the important people who make big or small difference in my days.

19 comments:

Jeff said...

I wish I had these activities so it would be more interactive! Send them to my mom next april!

queenieweenie said...

Nothin' like MY conference weekend...heehee. I love the "love at home". VERY cute!

Annemarie said...

Conference packets are the BEST! We try to come up with a diffent treat each year for BINGO. I love that it keeps my kids paying attention.

Matt & Brooke said...

Now that's my kind of breakfast! Gotta love conference

the wrath of khandrea said...

yet again i'm wishing you could raise my children for me.
why does your life seem so easy and good???
you're one in a million.

diane said...

Your breakfast is too cute. What a lucky family you have!

Tristan said...

Can we come watch conference at your house next time?!? You are awesome!!

Lauren in GA said...

Do you just search online until you find the General Conference Packet? Someone e-mailed me one last year, but I wasn't sure how to find one for this conference.

You are amazing that breakfast with the, "Love at Home" is SO Fabulous!!!!!!!!

Kimberly said...

Ok, how cute are you? I love the breakfast. I need to hear more about ideas like this because my family is still young so we are developing our own traditions, and I didn't have a lot of them growing up. Thanks for sharing!

Jenibelle said...

Jeff...you were traveling home from Idaho...the only interactive thing you did on that trip was fighting with your brother.

Somehow I think conference bingo is not nearly as fun as Girl's Camp testimony bingo!

Lisa-Marie said...

You are wonderful! That breakfast is so cute! I love it. Plus, it looked YUMMY!

By the way, did Jeni tell you that we have a date at the cupcake shop here in Rexburg? Well, we do. SOMEDAY!

♥Shally said...

At our house we have to DVR the conference just so we can watch it later and acutally HEAR IT.

I am SO copying that salad. Of course if I post it- you will get a link. ;)

YOU are a great mom...

Michelle Baird Designs said...

I really think you get the mom of the year award. You have the best ideas, best behaved kids, cutest meals, and so on and so on. In a million years, I can't picture my kids quietly sitting through even 1 talk. Granted they are only 3 and 5, but seriously, I think they all have adhd. Looks like a nice weekend together as family being spiritually fed.

Jessica said...

Love conference traditions! I love your breakfast. What is the Love at Home made out of?

weeze or Alissa said...

ok you are the cutest....love at home on the food...what are you...the best mommy in the world or what?
we went to the conference center sun. am session and I hope my kids won't forget that experience. And they took the conference packets to do there as well.
love reading the blogs gal.

Bridget said...

We do the bingo thing too. I think the M&Ms are definitely the deal breaker.

kimmie kimmie coconut said...

You are such a good mommy Rachael! I think I am going to steel all your ideas, keep posting what you do! ha ha!

Michelle said...

LOOK at that spread!!! So fun, huh?! I'm sure you are well aware already but do you know about sugardoodle.net? If you do, then you know what I'm talking about! If not, don't waste a second in checking it out! It's so you, Rach!

Michele said...

Wish I could have come for breakfast. What a fun idea. You are so creative Rach.