In middle school R.J. was given the choice to either join the band or take an Expo Class. He chose to follow in his Grandpa Hazen's footsteps and learn to play
the Trumpet. So, for the past two months our house has been filled with the sweet, loud, melodious, notes from that trumpet. R.J. practices hard and is a very diligent student. He
loves to wake his sisters in the morning to the sound of his eager blowing. His goal is one day to be able to be his Scout Troop's bugler and wake everyone up to the Reveille. Last week R.J. performed at Fall Band Concert at school. We were
excited to hear the fruits of his labors! The beginning band played about four different songs. I can honestly say, they sounded great, not like beginners at all. The parent band also played a song. For homework R.J. was to teach one of his parents a song for that Parent Band. Rob was the Lucky parent who learned the piece. As
for the parent band, they should keep their day jobs. Only kidding, they were great too. Rob said he was relieved to be sitting
by someone who actually knew what he was doing. You know what they say, "Fake it till you make it!" We'll never know if he played the whole song. But, what I do know is how proud I was of my two boys that night!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
"He Blows a Mean Trumpet"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
You've definitely got a lady-killer on your hands. Girls love a guy who plays an instrument!
That RJ! One amazing dude!
A parent band. What a great idea!
Way to go RJ!
I can't wait to hear your first jazz album.
skip plays the trumpet... maybe we should hook everyone up and let them entertain us!
hey i wanted to email you but can't find your address anywhere. email me? anbproductions@gmail.com
gracias
He looks like he's having a great time.
The times dad wasn't faking it he did a good job. I am an awesome teacher!
My son is leaning the violin. What I wouldn't give to hear the sound of a trumpet instead...
Excellent! He looks suited for being a trumpet player and I'm sure he'll excel in it. My son Mark was a talented trumpet player and played for 5 years and I sure miss hearing him play.
BTW~When you're ready to upgrade I have a Strativarius (silver) Trumpet Mark is selling. It's a sweet instrument but he wants to sell it for college expenses. (So Sad!) Maybe he'll have to save it for his own kids some day. That would be nice!
Kim, Make him save it. I know his kids would love it!
R.J. you are great at the trumpet. That was great how you taught dad to play too.
For your information, playing the trumpet is a part of our genes. Our long lost cousins Doc Severinson and Chris Botti learned from another long lost relative Herb Alpert. It is only fitting that Rob and RJ would excel at the instrument.
RJ, your hard work and practice on the instrument can also pay for your college (although you have to a play lot better than I did back in the days when it paid for mine!)
Also, it is true - RJ ... gals love trumpet players. Just ask your Grandother. She'll verify it for you.
Grandpa (BB)
By brother played trumpet & he was always a hit at the annual xmas party. Hope RJ's prepping for a little ward party performance:)
That is so cule that they have the parents do it also. In all my Music carreer of over 28 years now playing performance flute I had not had any family member do that. Mindi played one year and hated the teacher. So Good luck to RJ way to go......Have fun.
Since when does Rob play a musical instrument? I knew about RJ, but Rob???????
That is so great!! My husband and son took guitar lessons together...it was good and bad!
That is awesome. I LOVE the trumpet.
Let's put a different spin on this....Mitch plays the trumpet.
Love you RJ...wish you had gotten big Robert on film and then on You Tube, sigh. I know how well he sings, does he play the trumpet as well?
That is just too cute.
Evan chose trumpet this year, too. His first concert is this coming Monday. I still haven't blogged about it...I hang my head in shame ;)
that is really neat about the parents band!
I had a trombone player for 5 years a trumpet player turned percussionist in middle school and the youngest played clarinet.
I loved the concerts but the practice time, not so much.
I am glad you didn't take up the flute. I would NOT have been in the parent band playing the flute!
Go R.J. Look out Louis Armstrong!
Post a Comment