In keeping with our Christmas Traditions (read this post for more info.) we had our first Christmas Family Home Evening this past Monday. The kids were excited to open and see what new
Christmas Book they were going to read. We chose the book, "The Inn Keeper's Wife, The Rest of The Christmas Story." Each of us took a turn reading a chapter. After reading the book we followed another tradition that we started just last year, Manger Elves. We got the idea from one of the books we read last year called, "The Last Straw". Once a week at Family Home Evening
we pick a member of the family's name from the manger. For a whole week we get to secretly do kind deeds for that person we chose. When we have
completed a good deed we can add a piece of straw to baby Jesus' manger. Our goal is to fill up the manger by Christmas with lots of straw to make the bed nice, soft and comfortable for him. Hopefully these simple acts of
service and kindness will help remind the kids the true purpose of this holiday season. So, for the past week our house has filled with busy little "Manger Elves" performing all
sorts of good deeds like, making beds, writing love notes, putting out pajamas on the bed, making breakfasts, etc. I am really liking this, I think we'll have to do it year round!
Friday, December 5, 2008
"Christmas Books"
Posted by Hazen5 at 8:09 AM
Labels: Christmas, Christmas Books, FHE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
What a great idea. I love it!
Thank you so much Rachel!! I was struggling so much on how to make this season meaningful and I was coming up short.
This is a great idea!! And one that you really could do without a huge huge undertaking to accomplish.
Is secretly leaving chocolate and yummy stuff part of the tradition?
If so, I'm all in!!!
We used to do the same thing with making a bed for baby Jesus. It was amazing to see what people would come up with. My mom loved it because we didn't fight nearly as much.
You always touch me with the things you do and have with your kids. I have been through so much this year words can not express it. Your thoughts and ideas touch me. The thing that touches me the most is the FAMILY we have lost so much of our own family memebers due to so many things. All I can say is that it hurts but I know that my family Ben, Mindi, Devon & Damon are very important to me and I am doing all that I can so that they learn what ture FAMILY is and what we are taught. I can only hold strongely about that. It hits me once in awhile not to break down but its to hard to hold back at times. I appriciate your example. Thank you
That's such an awesome tradition! I'm totally implementing this next year! (the kids are still a bit young to do it now)
I love it. We are going to the Temple lights...and we always make cookies and take them to the neighbors for the Christmas caroling event. WE read 5 Christmas stories, we wrap the jelly jars to give to neighbors, and we see the nutcracker. (that night it is a dancing festival at the house--it is so funny to see the kids try to lift each other and do the whole ballet thing). Finally the last tradition listening to all the Christmas music especially from the Mo-Tab. It is Christmas! It is a time for Christ.
Loves!
April
We used to do the manger tradition. Can you believe I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me. The Christmas books are a favorite too.
i am totally stealing your idea, and in the true christlike spirit of christmas, i'm going to tell my family i thought of it.
thanks!
We need to start the manger. I loved that when I was a kid!
p.s. You look way too tanned and healthy for December. Please come to the Northeast and get pasty like the rest of us.
Such a great idea, service year round! You come up with darling activities for your family. You need to give a lesson at homemaking about all your fabulous ideas, like blog books etc.....
It was so fun the other night. It had been a while since we just hung out. Thanks it was great fun.
I hope you girls have fun shopping this weekend. Don't go broke before Christmas - that Tai Pan is a fun store.
Baby Jesus is going to have a really soft bed with all the service I'm doing!!
What a great idea. I love it, the book, and the manger elves. Keep coming up with great ideas so I can steal those also.
Your "SuperMom" qualities are giving me a SERIOUS complex! Not even kidding. I love this idea & will have to swipe it.
Tomorrow, could you please post a photo of a cluttered room or something??? Puh-leez? Just to make me feel better.
I remember reading about this tradition last year...it was one I was going to copy this year! I better get on the ball! LOVE IT!!!
Wow... I love love love the manger idea... that is so great
I love that so much! I need to go find some straw, right now!
Yay! More great traditions! Thanks for sharing.
We do Christmas Books too. It's fun to start traditions with my little family. I can't wait to try out the manger one when they are a bit older!
I finally had to "stop" this tradition...too many books!
You are the best mommy and the BEST friend...thanks for our weekend and for your loves and reassurance!
I finally bought the book. Love it!
Thanks for the recommendation.
Hugs
Post a Comment