Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"B.O.O.T. Camp"

Our theme for this years Girl's Camp was "B.O.O.T. (Building Our Own Testimony) Camp". And what better place to have a boot camp then Camp Pendleton (Camp Pendleton is one of the Department of Defense's busiest bases for many active and reserve Marine, Army and Navy units). No civilians are allowed to stay at these gorgeous, right on the beach, sleeping on the sand, ten step away from the water camp grounds. But, one of our Young Women leader's husband is Military Doctor and we were able to have him "Sponsor" us so we could enjoy the facilities! And that we did! We had a group of 21 Young Women, Leaders, Priesthood Brethren (Rob) and even some very willing mothers (Allison & Karyn). We had so much fun basking in the sun and surf, I felt a little guilty. Was this really Girl's Camp or a vacation? I was so glad to be there to witness these sweet young women grow and bond with one another and to also see them recognize Heavenly Father's helping hand to make this camp so successful. By the end of the week I truly felt this "B.O.O.T. Camp" accomplished what we prayed it would achieve, Testimonies were built, strengthened and fortified!

BEWARE, Lots of Pictures ahead!!!
The Young Women & Leaders
Our Camp
Playing Survival & Trust Games
Kayaking in the Ocean
Camp always offers the best tasting food and desserts
Andy giving the us Surf Lessons




The Leaders planning a "Sneak Attack" on the girls!
(We kidnapped them and took them to Breakfast)






Sailing at the Camp Pendleton marina



Spending "Free Time" reading Breaking Dawn!

25 comments:

♥Shally said...

Okay, THAT IS NOT CAMPING!!!

The beach??? THAT IS A VACATION!

Sailing??? Hmph..

Can you tell I'm from Utah and had to camp in the mountains where there were bugs and it rained on us every year???

I am so jealous...

Jessica said...

I am so glad everything turned out. What an adventure! So sad I wasn't there!

Connie said...

I am sooo jealous. I want to go to your girl's camp next year. Maybe we can trade.

brooke said...

Darn it! You guys planned the girls camp I wanted to go to all my youth-hood. Some day I'm moving back to that ward, just to be a leader when you guys do it again, cause of course...you'll still be in YW for being such a fab leader!!!

Kim Walus said...

Yeah, I think that qualifies as a vacation. My first camp experience when I was an adult was with Jeni. It was record cold that year and we slept in tents. I'm pretty sure it rained too and that was year we had bear trouble. It was a lot of fun though and I'd do it again.

I'm glad that you had such a fun summer with your family! The pictures made it all the more fun to read about your camp experience.

Jeff said...

Oh, Im so happy you lived through those GRUELING wilderness conditions. Sheesh. I wish scout camp was on the beach.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i guess i missed the part where you actually went camping???

oh, yeah, the s'mores. TOTAL camping.

Lauren said...

ok, why wasn't my girls camp at the beach. This seems all to fun and relaxing. I'm jealous.

Bridget said...

That is my idea of camping.

Rae Lynn and Brett said...

How fun it our girls camp. I never had any kind of girls camp like that where I grew up. I bet the girls had so much fun. I love your blog and all the pictures.

Jenibelle said...

Kim is right, it rained every freakin' day!! and we did have a bear in camp.

Did you stay at the Holiday Inn instead of the Hilton? I see no tents. No cows in the meadow mooing...no little creek and a zip line....no cold nights....no wind whistling through the trees...no trips to Truckee and Taco Bell....I feel down right sorry for you!!!
Love, Scoop.

Michelle said...

Hello??? That's a vacation- NOT Girl's Camp! WAY too much fun! Oh my goodness! I want to be there with you!!!

The Jeffs Family said...

Looks like so much fun! Did you finish Breaking Dawn?!?

Sarah said...

SO much fun! That seriously looks like beach week w/o parents! I guess our nursery kids wouldn't hack it for that long, huh? Or maybe that would be me WITH the kids... :)

Lauren in GA said...

Now that is some kind of Girl's Camp :)

I love that, "BOOT CAMP" theme! Building our own testimony...Brilliant!

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

You're hot...

Michele said...

Hi Rachel,
I'm sitting here with mom and we loved your Boot camp post. It looks like everyone had a great time. The girls and leaders will definitely remember this camp. I love the B.O.O.T. Theme.

Katie Harding said...

wow! That looked like sooo much fun!! I miss YW camp outs!

Tristan said...

OK, SO NOT FAIR!! Surfing, sailing, the beach...that is not Girl's Camp! But I am so glad you had such a great time!

Celia Fae said...

I don't get it. Why don't you guys have to go to real camp? No wonder Southern California girls are wimpy. JK. Not really.

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Somehow going for pancakes with whip cream at the local diner does not qualify as camping!!!

Papa Nacho said...

I just got off the phone with the Marine recruiters. They said they had a record number of enlistments during that particular week. They used the "B.O.O.T. Camp" as a promotion tool to get people to sign up. They said Camp Pendleton and Afganastan and are very similar including the female recruits on the beach. Those poor suckers who signed up are still loooking and loooking for those pretty girls on the beach. Won't they be surprised when they find there's no s'mores in Iraq either?

Audry said...

I wish I was a YW in San Diego when I was a girl. That looks like so much fun.

Annie said...

Clearly I am going to have to pick your brains for YW ideas...I just got called as ward YW pres a couple of weeks ago :)

You make it look so easy breezy and fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tammi said...

Ok, Rach...you have to get these pics to Lona so we can put them up on the board at church! And i just have to say, we were too camping! We hardly slept and we smelled like smoke by the end of the week! It was sooooo fun though, huh?