This was how Payton used to talk on the phone. Notice the 2 phones, one on each ear. She has struggled a long time with Conductive Hearing Loss. Since last July we have been living at the audiologists office getting hearing test after hearing test. We've met with the Doctor, the Ear Surgeon and the best route for Payton we all decided was to get hearing aids, which will now forever be lovingly referred to as "Hearing Helpers". When she is in her teens we will then assess the hearing situation again and most likely get surgery to repair the tiny bones in her ears which have been damaged. We knew she had the chance of hearing problems after being born with the Cleft Palate. We have been so lucky in many other ways due to this trial that we only see this as a tiny bump in the long road Payton has ahead of her. I for one think she is thriving beyond everyone's expectations. She has no delays and does not struggle socially or academically, which can often happen with hearing loss. Payton was very excited to start the "Hearing Helpers" process. She was fitted for them and had to get impressions of her ears. They filled her ears with "Goo" type silly putty that dried instantly. Then the impressions were sent off to be made into the ear molds. She got to pick the color of them and chose pink with sparkles! About 3 weeks later the molds and helpers were ready to be picked up. At the orientation meeting, we were taught how to put in and take out the Hearing Helpers, how to clean them, how to change the battery, how to turn them off and on. Rob and I both had to practice putting the helpers on her. But, Payton was so eager to learn and do it all by herself. I was amazed watching my baby take the initiative to learn the responsibilities of her new helpers. Finally came the moment we have all been waiting for... Sound! They were turned on and her face just lit up, she could her the tiniest of noise. She asked me to whisper in her ear (something that was impossible before). In my most quiet voice, barley audible, I said, "I love you". She looked at me wide eyed and said, "I love you too!" It brought tears to my eyes thinking about how much she has missed due to not hearing, but it's okay now. Payton just entered into a new world, the new "World of Hearing". After the meeting she couldn't wait to get back to school to share them with her friends. I made prior arrangements with her teacher so we could take some time to show and explain the hearing helpers to her classmates. We told them that Payton now has Bionic Ears! All the kids were fascinated and wanted to see them up close. She was so brave and proud showing them off. Before she was concerned with being different. But, we explained that it's the differences that make each one of us special. I hope she always believes that and realizes how very special she is to us. I just made Payton promise me one thing, "Don't turn down your hearing helpers when your mama is talking!"



35 comments:
How wonderful for all of you. I cannot imagine suddenly being able to hear EVERYTHING! What a miracle.
What a great post! I'm sure that first moment of hearing perfectly was a miracle for her. I can best compare it to the first time I put on glasses in 6th grade and realized there were leaves on the trees and rocks on the mountains. I could suddenly see perfectly and with definition. It was a wonderful moment and I didn't realize how blind I was. I'm so grateful for sight, sound, and taste, touch. All of our senses are so important.
What a wonderful blessing for her and your family!
Super Bionic Ear Girl! Payton it's so great that you got your hearing helpers! you go save the day with your bionic hearing.
That girl has style. I love that she chose pink Sparkles. Totally fabulous!
Diane said exactly what I was going to about her color choice. oo cute. She is an adorable girl!
i can relate to every word here. and i cried just reading it. nothing like that first moment where they just look at you in amazement like "THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN MISSING???"
the moment is crushed, however, when you are later scolding your child for misbehaving, and she puts one hand on her hip, raises her eyebrows at you with her mouth in a little sneer, and reaches up with her free hand to click the hearing aids off.
ouch.
Thank you for posting this. Claire has been complaining of hearing issues and I have been putting off calling the ENT because I like the land of denial. This post will give me the push to do it. You did us both a service today!
Payton is adorable, as usual. Everybody is going the think bionic ears are a hot new accessory because Payton is so styling.
This story totally brought tears to my eyes!! She is such a beautiful little girl and how neat for her to be able to have full hearing now!!
I love that you are making her feel totally comfortable and confident with them! And I love love that she chose pink sparkles!
What a sweet, adorable girl. I love her attitude!
Andrea & Celia,
It's hard seeing your child go through "Something"! But, you both have been such great examples on how to help them along the way!
Of COURSE she looks adorable and I'm so glad for her that she can hear-even Miss Chatterbox reading the scriptures!
This post made me all teary eyed. Your little Payton is such a sweetie!
no more WHHHHHATT?? everytime I talk on the phone to my paypay? I am so so happy for her and I am SO glad that she is so positive about it. I love the choice of pink sparkles, fits her so well!!
At the doctor's office Pay said "I have troubles hearing Maddie reading in the morning"....yesterday as soon as Maddie started reading, she looked up and nodded her head as if to say "I can hear her". This morning she couldn't stop commented on how loud the kitty was purring. Little things that we take for granted and she is like a kid in a candy store right now with this whole new world.
Rachel,
My husband suffers from a pretty big hearing loss and needed hearing aids probably since birth but didn't get them until after high school. He learned to read lips and just get by until then. On our first date I had no idea he even wore hearing aids, you couldn't see them. Payton is so fortunate to have the technology available to her to open up this new world for her. What a grown up little girl and what an exciting time of discovery. Also, welcome to the hearing aid battery club, I've become the battery pro!!
Luvs,
Gretchen Pratley Johnson
(I lived in the Avenues in Provo when you and Michelle lived together)
Gretchen,
It's so good to hear from you! Thanks for your kind words, sometimes I need them just as much as Payton does!
Gretchen,
Invite me to your blog, I'd love to catch up!
sayhey1@cox.net
I am so happy for Payton! I'd say more, but then I'd be bawling at school. I love you pay and can't wait to talk to you on the phone. Isn't it fun to hear kitty purring?
The first thing I thought of when reading this post is Pay Pay's cute "WHAAAAAAAAT?" Do you think she will still say that for me just cause it's so cute? I am so glad she got her hearing helpers.
I had no idea about any of it: the hearing problems or the cleft palate. She'd so darling. You seem like you handled the whole thing really well!
I echo Jessica. No idea. I think you and your family are handling this brilliantly. Especially love how you talked to her class about her hearing helpers.
Payton
My only concern now is that you will have to explain everything to me because I probably should look into hearing helpers too. I'm glad I can count on you to help me this summer at our family reunion. You tell me if your cousins are making fun of their Grandpa because he can't hear them...
We love you Sweetie.
Grandpa H
That is so wonderful! Payton is now a sparkly pink princess! :) You go girl! Love one of your fairy godmothers.
Wow. How exciting for her! What a cutie to pick the pink sparkly ones. So happy for you and your family.
I, like Jessica, didn't know anything about all of that!
This brought tears to my eyes. Levi has had so many hearing problems. I seriously don't know what to do. I've actually been putting off taking him to the audiologist again. What does this say about me??! It's time. I gotta get him in.
She is such a doll. My favorite part was the 'I love you too' she said. So sweet.
You are such a good mommy Rachel! Every time I read one of your posts, I want Rachel Lessons.
And I didn't know she was born with a cleft palate. I had no idea...did she have to have reconstructive surgery? Because she looks GREAT. What a doll she is.
You gotta love that she chose Hearing Helpers with bling and sparkle!
xoxo
You are my hero. thank you for that wonderful post. I can't wait to see you in July. This is another reminder how we take so many things for granted. I love you...
This post was awesome! What a miracle modern medicine is! And what a little trooper (who loves her sparkles!) Payton is! :) I love that she chose the most girly thing she could, so cute!
Dear Pay Pay,
When I wear hearing helpers in the near future I am gong to chose pink sparkly ones just like yours.
I am happy that you have Bionic Ears. You are soooo special.
I love you!
Aunt Michele
She is just way too cute. Your family rocks...I just read Gab's post on you too. LOVED everything you said!!
Thankyou everyone for the comments! It's like I'm the famous little girl! I'm so suprised!!!!!! I had a lot of time to read your comments!
You ARE a famous little girl, Payton. And the CUTEST one at that! I'm happy you can hear your kitty purrrrr. That is pretty cool.
Tell your mom that I think she is a famous mommy too. That means I think she rocks!
I totally started to cry when I read how her face lit up when she could hear the tiniest of noises. I also love how she chose pink with sparkles! That girl has style!!
Hey... You dont know me but... My friend found your blog through a friend of hers and told me about it. My daughter Payten also has a hearing loss! And... She picked out the pick aides with the sparkle molds! CRAZY!! We found out about a year ago that she has a moderate sensory nural hearing loss and then got aides. Its a big adjustment but iam seeing progress! I have a blog but... its on private, but you can e-mail me at j.robles3 at hotmail dot com, if you ever want to chat and get advice. Sometimes its hard being stuck in the middle of the hearing world and deaf world. Hope your girl is doing good! Such a cute family! Hope i dont scare you by writing you all this!
Post a Comment